Fortuna, California Assisted Living and Retirement Community
Emeritus at Sequoia Springs Campus
Fortuna, CA 95540
A Campus Community
Fortuna, California is in the heart of great stands of virgin redwoods – and right in the heart of Fortuna is a beautiful senior living community offering the full continuum of care. Nestled in the Eel River Valley and encircled by mountains, Sequoia Springs Senior Living offers:
- Emeritus at Sequoia Meadows: Our independent living community provides 21 two-bedroom, two-bath retirement “cottages,” located together in a cul-de-sac neighborhood with sidewalks, full garages and community clubhouse.
- Emeritus at Sequoia Springs Assisted Living: Our main building is home to 66 private assisted living apartments, some with mountain views, some with views into a lovely courtyard area.
- Emeritus at Sequoia Springs Memory Care: In its own secured area on the first floor of our main building, our memory care neighborhood offers a full range of semi-private apartments that can accommodate up to 20 residents suffering from such memory impairments as Alzheimer’s disease.
Our campus is interconnected with paved pathways, making it easy for residents to take full advantage of our “continuous senior living community.” This unique environment allows residents to easily transition from one care level to the next – and allows couples to remain on the same campus together, even if one can live independently, but the other requires assisted living or memory care.
Moreover, with memory care and assisted living conveniently located in the same building, residents can easily visit one another – especially important should one spouse live in memory care and the other in the assisted living section of our main building.
The Perfect Location
Northern California has it all – a temperate climate ranging from the low 50’s in the winter to the low 70’s during the summertime, along with spectacular scenery and all the amenities you’d expect. Best of all, this part of California is home to our hometown of Fortuna, a small community of 10,000 people located just 17 minutes south of Eureka. Our community is within walking distance from downtown and conveniently located between the Redwood Village Shopping Center and Redwood Memorial Hospital, just ¼ mile from here. Many of our residents’ doctors are also within an easy drive of us.
With our own van for transportation, we take residents on frequent outings – downtown to go browsing through the many antique stores and boutique shops in Fortuna’s darling Victorian Village; out to eat at one of many restaurants, including several Chinese and Mexican favorites; or on numerous field trips, such as to the Gardens within the College of the Redwoods, a local bird sanctuary featuring walking trails through the marsh and a visitors’ center, and of course, trips to see the mighty redwoods.
Fortuna has its own redwood forest here in town – and just 30 minutes south along scenic Highway 101 is Humboldt Redwoods State Park, which boasts some of the world's most majestic ancient redwood groves. The Pacific Ocean – which is partially responsible for our temperate weather – is less than an hour from Sequoia Springs Senior Living.
A Wonderful Selection
No matter what type of living arrangement you or your loved one may require, Emeritus at Sequoia Springs can support the needs of almost any senior, from those who are able to live independently to residents with advanced Alzheimer’s. Our full selection of apartments includes:
- 66 private assisted living studio and one-bedroom apartments, ranging up to 460 square feet. Our bright, spacious apartments include a kitchenette with microwave, refigerator, sink, cupboards and ample drawers for storage; bathrooms with roll-in showers, easily accessible sinks and grab bars; 24-hour emergency response system; individually controlled heat; and wall-to-wall carpeting. Assisted living residents are also welcome to bring a small pet. Common areas include a spacious living room on the first floor, which is attached to our kitchen and dining area; a well-stocked activities rooom, also on the main floor; and a small library on the second floor.
- Semi-private memory care apartments able to accommodate a total of 14 residents. Each apartment includes a bathroom, which two residents share, along with its own common living area. Like our assisted living apartments, monthly rent includes utilities, 24-hour emergency response system and individual temperature control. Residents also have access to a fully secured enclosed outdoor courtyard. During the day, they spend most of their time either in the courtyard or in the spacious community living room, which is connected to the memory care neighborhood’s kitchen and dining area.
- 21 retirement cottages for independent living. Our two-bedroom, two bath cottages offer 1,034 square feet of living space, all on one floor. Each cottage includes its own washer/dryer; fully equipped kitchen with microwave, stove and oven, refrigerator and ample cabinets; high ceilings and large windows; an emergency call system; and a spacious garage with a storage room in the back. Most cottages also offer gas fireplaces. Weekly housekeeping and all maintenance are also included in the monthly rent. Pets are welcome too! The cottages are situated around a cul-de-sac that creates its own small neighborhood with sidewalks and beautiful landscaping. Should residents want a change of scenery, our retirement community has its own clubhouse with a pool table, area for exercising, beauty shop, sitting room with television and a library; many community events are held here. Lunch is included in the monthly rent and brought to the individual cottages each day.
Strong, Caring Professional Relationships
We work closely with Eureka Physical Therapy, which has a fully equipped rehabilitation facility here in Fortuna. Our van often takes residents to their appointments. And as necessary, our staff can help coordinate appointments for residents and their families, especially for residents whose health is in serious decline.
In addition, several home health agencies are located nearby and available to pay visits to those residents who require a level of care in addition to what we can provide. For residents who have undergone surgery and recently been discharged from the hospital, home health provides an invaluable service that helps residents in need get back their strength and stamina.
In addition, a doctor from the local Veteran’s office visits our veteran residents and a podiatrist pays house calls just about every other week. Our staff is happy to help coordinate appointments for residents.
Sequoia Springs is also privileged to have a staff member with a RCFE administrator licenses. By attending monthly seminars, they are kept abreast of the latest industry news and programs, and stay in close touch with their peers.
Yes, we are part of Emeritus – one of the nation’s leading providers of senior living communities – but we are also our own community, with close ties to Fortuna. In fact, many of our staff members grew up here – why leave? A small close-knit community, Fortuna is a very special place – special in its location and special because of the wonderful people who call it home. So when new residents join our community, often our staff knows them – or knows their families.
Some of our staff members have been with us since our community was built in 2001. There’s a simple reason for this longevity: our caring and compassionate caregivers, helpful housekeeping and maintenance staff, highly trained management, full-time nurse, Life Enrichment Director and Memory Care Director, along with many other team members, love Sequoia Springs Senior Living as much as our residents do. It’s their home-away-from-home. As a result, residents quickly learn that they can trust us to treat them with the utmost respect and dignity, and they feel secure knowing that we will always put their needs first.